A little R&R for 48 hours. Complete with sun, lots of wine, great food and a perfect companion.
We arrived in town after a perfect late afternoon drive in time to settle into our room at Vines & Roses. Then headed to Whitehouse Crawford for a fabulous dinner. It was so wonderful to walk out of a restaurant in the dark warm summer evening!
Saturday started with a relaxing bath as the fire place roars behind me then a yummy breakfast. Pear and almond waffles, tomato and chili fritatta and bacon scalloped potatoes. Left me thinking “why have I never stayed in a B&B before?” At breakfast, we learned about farmer’s market and decided to head there in search of bread, cheese and other farm fresh fruits and/or veggies to snack on as we venture out to the wineries.
Wine tasting started on the south end of Walla Walla:
- Beresan – My favorite memory is the red curtains that kept out the warm sun. Lots of options for every day drinking wine too. However our goal was to find special bottles!
- Balboa – The best bottle had a yucky snake on the label. But they pointed us to Rulo!
- Sleight of Hand Cellars – What a fun experience here…a must visit for anyone going to the area. You can even request your favorite album to be played while you taste many fabulous bottles.
- Amavi Cellars – What a beautiful view! Of course, we got a bottle of one of the wines we tasted with dinner last night.
- Rulo – Has my vote for my favorite place. The winemaker has a great story that we drew out of him while we tasted bottle after bottle.
- Basel Cellars – A beautiful location where we stopped to enjoy our farmer’s market finds with a bottle of their best cab (a solid every day drinking wine).
In the late afternoon we headed to the airport area east of town
- Trust – Another winemaker pours his wines sharing his tail and adventures.
- Kontos Cellars – A must visit on my list! We learned that the syrah was their best bottle.
- Before we knew it, 5 o’clock struck and the tasting rooms were closed.
It was time for another fabulous dinner at the Fat Duck Inn for a winemakers dinner.
After sleeping in until the last minute, we hustled downstairs for another fabulous breakfast. And my stomach needed it~!
For day two of tasting, we just headed downtown. Of course, we started first at farmer’s market after our wonderful finds yesterday. Today we loaded up on several pounds of beets (red and yellow), lots of berries and, of course, some Walla Walla sweets. Just in season…
- Seven Hills Winery – Sharing the Whithouse Crawford building brought back memories of Friday night. And they have so many good bottles of wine to choose from.
- Locati Cellars – Many good reds to taste!
- Tero Estates/Flying Trout – Great options from this husband (Tero) and wife (flying) team.
- Walla Walla Wine Works – Lots of options for every day drinking topped off with an odd chocolate red wine bottle. Had to buy it for my next chocolate and wine party.
It was such a F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S weekend that we have already started a list of places to taste the next time we visit.