I have been to John Howie several times for happy hour and once for lunch. It was time to go for dinner, partly because every day the smell of steak cooked to perfection permeates my workplace – the office, the elevator, the parking garage.
We started slowly, hoping to not over do it and be too full for dessert (as much as I enjoy all courses, a great dessert course seals the deal on a fabulous meal).
The first round…
- The girl was very insistent on Tempura Fried Kurobuta Bacon, maple sambal ponzu sauce
- We added Gala Apple with Preserved Apricot Vinaigrette, organic greens, baby arugula, frisée & watercress, charred purple onions, manchego cheese, dehydrated cranberries, candied walnuts
Bring on the main course, steaks and sides, of course…
- The girl and I split a medium rare Filet Mignon. It was amazing how it just melted in your mouth. The center of each bite was like butter. The edge of the piece perfectly seared and just a bit crusty.
- Bill had a Rib Eye Steak, also medium rare.
- We couldn’t just eat steak. We added several sides starting with Five cheese Twice Baked Stuffed Potato, bacon, scallions, sour cream. Bailie’s pick, no doubt.
- My pick: Mesquite Roasted Corn wth Honey-Chipotle Butter. I have to share that this ended up being Bailie’s favorite. The combination of roasted sweetness with chipotle: YUM.
- Bill’s pick: Sauteed Spinach with Garlic and Preserved Lemon, one of his favorite ways to eat spinach I learned.
- Flourless Semi–Sweet Chocolate Volcano Cake –Sweet Chocolate Volcano Cake, warm caramel, ganache, vanilla crème, shaved white chocolate. With enough left to take home and enjoy tomorrow.
- The girl stuck with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. She would have taken some home if it wouldn’t melt.
All enjoyed with a bottle of I/2 Ass from our Woodinville Wine adventure last weekend.
John Howie Steak | 11111 Northeast 8th St, Suite 125 | Bellevue, WA | 425.440.0880 | www.johnhowiesteak.com |