In a recent weekly vegetable box, I received a handful of sweet potatoes. So it was time to find a recipe to showcase them with a salmon dish tonight. And I (we) scored! These fries are delicious with salmon (broiled with olive oil and a little salt and pepper) and a glass of white wine (Meadow from Ross Andrews).
- 4 medium to large dark red sweet potatoes (often called Garnet or Jewel yams)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, and thyme are best; but any combo works)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Wash garnet yams well under cold water and remove the pointy ends. Slice the yams into long thin strips about 1/4 inch thick. The best way to do this is to slice them into 1/4 inch thick “planks” first and then stack up two or three planks to cut into strips. ((I varied the recipe and cut into rounds as my potatoes were on the small side)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, mustard, herbs, and seasonings.
- Toss yam strips with glaze and spread out evenly onto a baking sheet. Be sure not to crowd them as they will steam and turn mushy.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes or until lightly browned. Some smaller pieces may brown or blacken a bit at the edges, but this is fine.
Serves: 4 to 6